• A Healthy Diet is Not Enough
• Acai Berry and Health Enhancement
• Basil Nutritional Advantages
• Benefits of Black Pepper
• Bilberry Health Benefits
• Black Cohosh Womens Health Food
• Blueberries for Exceptional Health
• Calcium and Healthy Eating
• Cinnamon a Healthy Taste Addition
• Cranberries the Healthy Choice
• Dietary Fiber Its Important
• Dong Quai Root for Womens Health
• Garlic a Wonder Food
• Gingko Biloba
• Goji Juice and AntiAgeing
• Green Tea is Great for Your Health
• Health Benefits of Ginger
• Health Benefits of the Wolfberry
• Health Food Supplements
• Healthy Eating Ideas
• Improve Asthma With the Right Foods
• Beans the Perfect Healthy Food
• Beans the Perfect Healthy Food
• Maintaining a Healthy Weight
Gingko biloba has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years. For almost 2800 years, gingko biloba has been used to treat a number of specific illnesses and ailments.
Gingko biloba is derived from the tree of the same name, and it has been used for such varied things as:
* Maintaining normal blood circulation
* Maintaining normal function of blood vessels
* Maintaining the levels of oxygen and glucose in the brain
* Preventing capillaries from becoming fragile and leaking
* Helping to maintain a normal blood flow
* Reducing tissue damage caused by improper blood flow
Ginkgo biloba is known to contain a number of important antioxidants, including the very valuable flavonoids. These antioxidant nutrients are vital to combating the damage done by free radicals in the body. In addition, flavonoids like the ones found in gingko biloba are thought to strengthen capillaries, which may lead to increased blood flow the brain and greater memory and brain health.
High quality gingko biloba is essential. It is important that gingko biloba be processed properly, and that the extract process fully removes the toxic element of the gingko leaf, which is known as ginkgolic acid. It is important that processed gingko biloba contain no more than 5 parts per million (ppm) of ginkgolic acid. Most of the high quality gingko biloba extracts on the market today are well below this upper limit.
There is no doubt that ginkgo biloba is a very valuable herb, and it has shown real promise in treating a wide variety of conditions. Taking a quality ginkgo biloba supplement on a daily basis can be a great way to improve your overall health and fitness level.
Ginkgo biloba is known to act as a blood thinner, and it can therefore increase circulation to all the tissues of the body, including such vital organs as the brain and the heart. Gingko biloba is thought to interfere with the platelet activating factor, or PAF, which may be implicated in causing asthma, heart disease, problems with hearing and skin conditions such as psoriasis. Gingko biloba is therefore thought to be of assistance with these health conditions.
Ginkgo biloba is also thought to improve the function of the brain, particularly memory functions, and to help improve overall health and vitality. Part of the effectiveness of gingko biloba may lie in the fact that it has strong antioxidant qualities, and that it is an excellent free radical killer.
In addition, gingko biloba has also been used successfully by many people to treat such common ailments as anxiety and tension. For some people, gingko biloba appears to act as a mood booster and energy restorer.
Gingko biloba preparations are available in a wide variety of forms, including tablets, pills, soft gels and capsules. In addition, gingko biloba is one of the most widely manufactured herbal supplements on the market, and it is produced by many companies, both large and small. When shopping for gingko biloba supplements, either at the local health food store or on the internet, it is important to buy only from quality, reliable manufacturers, and to make sure that only the finest and purest ingredients are used in the manufacturing process.
For more healthy eating articles, click here.
Fitness and Healthy Recipes go hand in hand. Click here for Fitness information and click here for healthy recipes.