• A Healthy Diet is Not Enough
• Acai Berry and Health Enhancement
• Basil Nutritional Advantages
• Benefits of Black Pepper
• Bilberry Health Benefits
• Black Cohosh Womens Health Food
• Blueberries for Exceptional Health
• Calcium and Healthy Eating
• Cinnamon a Healthy Taste Addition
• Cranberries the Healthy Choice
• Dietary Fiber Its Important
• Dong Quai Root for Womens Health
• Garlic a Wonder Food
• Gingko Biloba
• Goji Juice and AntiAgeing
• Green Tea is Great for Your Health
• Health Benefits of Ginger
• Health Benefits of the Wolfberry
• Health Food Supplements
• Healthy Eating Ideas
• Improve Asthma With the Right Foods
• Beans the Perfect Healthy Food
• Beans the Perfect Healthy Food
• Maintaining a Healthy Weight
|Healthy Eating Ideas
Healthy Eating Ideas
While everyone knows that eating healthy is important, knowing just how to do it is not always so easy. Consuming a diet with is low in saturated fats, and high in fiber, fruits and vegetables, is a great start, as are the following healthy eating ideas:
* Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The new guidelines published by the federal government recommend that everyone eat at least five servings a day of fruits and vegetables, but unfortunately most people fall far short of this important goal. Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of many important nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin A and other antioxidants. In addition, many fruits and vegetables contain lots of dietary fiber, essential for a healthy body.
* Choose meats that are low in fat. Low fat meats are an important substitute for higher fat varieties like bacon and sausage. There are many low fat meats on the market, and the healthiness of meats can be further enhanced by asking the butcher to trip the fat when you buy your meat.
* Don't overlook the power of fish. Fish is rich in protein, low in fat and high in many important nutrients. In addition, fish contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to have protective effects on the cardiovascular system.
* Look for low fat and nonfat substitutes for milk, cheese, margarine and other dairy products. There are a number of excellent low fat cheeses, margarines, yogurts and other foods on the market. In addition, low fat and nonfat milk are excellent choices for healthy eating.
* Pay attention to the oil you use in cooking. The oils used in cooking can add significant amounts of fat and calories to the diet, so it is important to use those oils that contain healthier polyunsaturated fat instead of harmful saturated fats. Saturated fats come mostly from animal sources and include such things as lard. Polyunsaturated fats are mainly derived from plant sources, and include soybean oil and olive oil.
* Replaced processed foods with more healthful whole grains. Highly processed foods, such as white bread, cakes and other items are less healthful than whole grain products such as whole wheat bread. Whenever possible, replace these highly processed foods with less processed whole grain products.
* Know where you stand. Knowing the current state of your health will help give you a goal to shoot for, as well as helping you know where to focus your energies for greatest benefit. If it has been awhile since your last physical you may want to schedule one. Be sure to include a cholesterol test, blood pressure screening and other popular health measures.
Hopefully these healthy eating ideas will help you enjoy a healthier lifestyle and a longer life.
Everyone is seeking to eat a healthier diet, and the importance of following such a healthy diet is becoming more and more apparent with every scientific study. Study after study has shown that diet has a significant impact on health and well being, and that improving diet can help us live longer and avoid many common diseases.
For more healthy eating ideas, click here.
Fitness and Healthy Recipes go hand in hand. Click here for Fitness information and click here for healthy recipes.